This $150 M design, construct and maintain contract project provided the “missing link” on the Pacific Highway between the Yelgun to Chinderah.
This $150 M design, construct and maintain contract project provided the “missing link” on the Pacific Highway between the Yelgun to Chinderah Upgrade project and the Brunswick Heads Bypass project (both of which were site managed by PES). Construction in 2005 – 2007 addressed a distance of 8.7km, passing to the west of Brunswick Heads and the settlements of Ocean Shores and New Brighton, and to the east of the settlements of Billinudgel and Yelgun.
In addition, it added the much needed second carriageway to the Brunswick Heads bypass – connecting it through to the Tandy’s Lane project (which was also site managed by PES.
On this project, PES provided assistance to the RTA site management team with the provision of a (senior) project engineer, surveillance officer, environmental representative and an administrative assistant.
The Works involved included the following:
- Duplication of the Brunswick Heads Bypass (completed in 1998);
- New bridge crossing over the Brunswick River and adjacent wetlands and several other bridges;
- Construction of a new dual carriageway highway north of the river;
- Interchanges at Brunswick Heads North and Yelgun to provide controlled and safe access to the Upgrade for local traffic;
- Rehabilitation of a sensitive wetland area (saltmarsh);
- Restoration of the southern foreshore area (Brunswick River);
- Local roadworks, including roundabout construction, to improve local traffic access; and
- Use of existing highway sections as part of the local service road.
Environmental and community concerns and issues were a major factor requiring management throughout the project - included compensatory habitat areas, restoration of the Brunswick river foreshore, rehabilitation of wetland areas, and many other environmental and community commitments.
The obligations of the DCM Contractor are set out in the DCM Project Deed and comprised:
- Investigation, design and construction of the Project with certification/verification that everything meets the required standards and is in accordance with environmental requirements;
- Provision of all connections, modifications and improvements necessary to link the Project to the existing road network;
- Implementing such temporary arrangements as are necessary during construction to ensure minimal disruption to local and through traffic, and access to any affected properties or land;
- Relocation, adjustment and/or upgrading of services and other utilities necessary as a consequence of the Project;
- Adjustments to properties;
- Repair of all defects that occur within a period of ten years; and
- Maintenance of the facility for 10 years.